Ubuntu on tega V2

Moderators: mrmobilepc, jeremy450

Ubuntu on tega V2

Postby vigipatrak » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:50 pm

I tryed to install ubuntu desktop x86 and x64 and notebook edition x86 whith success for each version.
Just tow think is not available wifi (no driver or I don't find) and touchscreen who is recognise but not corectlie.
The touch work's but their is a mis recognation whith dual touch:
you need tow fingers to move your pointer and when you use just one finger it click.

I try to update utouch but it don't do anythings

But whith keyboard and mouse it's great and batterie life looks improved
vigipatrak

Re: Ubuntu on tega V2

Postby mrmobilepc » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:20 am

THank you Vigipatrak,

We are very excited about Ubuntu too! Even our new Retail Package shows we are using Ubuntu moving forward. We are also workign with Intel with support for Meego. Fun times! Please keep me psoted on what you learn as we are very interested!

TEGA-v2_with_Ubuntu.jpg
TEGA-v2_with_Ubuntu.jpg (189.08 KiB) Viewed 5611 times
mrmobilepc

Postby auscruiser » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:40 pm

Linux drivers for the 3DSP 2310U Mini PCI card (that's in the V2, not the V2.1) can be obtained from ftp://3dsp.com.cn/Ubuntu/
auscruiser

Postby mrmobilepc » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:09 pm

Awesome Darren,

Great work!
mrmobilepc

Ubuntu 11.04

Postby don.pitchford » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:38 pm

Hi,

I was able to install Ubuntu 11.04 beta release onto the TEGA v2.

Steps:
1. Download the 32 bit Desktop ISO image from Ubuntu.com
2. Create Startup Disk from another Ubuntu Machine (System -> Administration -> Startup Disk Creator). Use the Micro SD card. USB dongle will not work.
3. Insert micro SD card and reboot. Press F-11 to select micro SD. It is called something like unamed universal serial card.
4. Boot up and follow the options.

Everything seems to be working fine, sound, touch screen, EXCEPT the wireless & blue tooth.

We can't even see the wireless card when you do LSPCI. Has anyone created a package for the wireless card for Ubuntu 11.04? The other link above is for a different kernal. We tried to modify the code, to override the kernal, but no luck. What we are going to try is to use a different Wireless card that has a Linux Package, something from like a dell netbook.

Appreciate any input.

Don
don.pitchford

Postby mrmobilepc » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:10 pm

Hi Don,

The 3DSP driver listed above is the TEGA v2 (dellivered pre December 2010), for TEGA v2.1 (delivered post December 2010) the driver we use is different. For more details visit the TEGA v2 micro site:

http://www.tegav2.com/software.html

The new card is:

AzureWave (model: AW-NB037H) - Atheros AR90002WB-1NG Wireless Network Adapter

Please let us know how you go and if we can help.
mrmobilepc

Postby Auz » Sun May 01, 2011 10:29 pm

I managed to install the new Ubuntu 11.04 on my Tega V2. Everything works except wifi & bluetooth. When I use a Wireless dongle it works. I'm hoping Tegatech will help us with a quick guide on how to get the wi-fi working.
Auz

Postby mrmobilepc » Mon May 02, 2011 10:58 am

That's great news AUZ. We don't have any assistance we can share at this stage but as soon as we do we will let you know.
mrmobilepc

Postby shinkamui » Tue May 10, 2011 11:56 pm

I have my system triple booting, Win7 HP, Froyo, and Ubuntu 10.10 (with mostly 11.04 userspace and 2.6.38.6). The V2.1 wifi/bt module appears to work perfectly (though I have not actually used bt for anything, it shows up as detected and configured in the kernel messages). I have uTouch and ginn 2 finger gestures working as well. Compositing is working quite well, and compiz-fusion under "classic" gnome works as expected. Unity has some major usability issues without a hardware keyboard. You can't type using any of the soft keyboards (I've got onboard, gok, AND Florence) when using any of the Unity overlay searches. By far, I find florence the most featured, but also the least polished. Florence is also not usable for locked screens or at gdm login. I've been able to "get by" using a combination of onboard and florence, however, if you plan on using the Unity, you'll want to have a bt keyboard or that attractive leather keyboard case :). Standard gnome with these fixes work fine, but you lose out on the finger friendliness of Unity. Its unlikely, but some of the distribution mismatching I've been doing with userspace apps and my updated kernel may be related to some of the unity issues. Once I iron out most of the usability issues Ill build an image for other community members to easily get started with a fully working hardware baseline.

-Sean-
shinkamui

Postby mrmobilepc » Wed May 11, 2011 12:10 am

Sean, you are doing such a fantastic job. Thank you. If you want to email me the image when you're done we'll be happy to host it (to save you bandwidth from thousands of downloads). :-)

Email me directly at: hugo at tegatech dot com dot au

Thanks mate! Greta work!
mrmobilepc

Next

Return to Linux for TEGA v2